| Scripting Tutorial - phpBB Forum
phpBB is a high powered, fully scalable, and highly customizable discussion forum, bulletin board package. phpBB has a user-friendly interface, simple administration panel, and helpful FAQ information. Based on the powerful PHP server language and MySQL database server, phpBB is the ideal free community solution for all websites.
This tutorial will guide you through the phpBB setup and installation process on our servers. It is assumed that your account has support for PHP and MySQL database and that you have already created your database.
Part A - Downloading the Script
1. The script can be downloaded from here.
2. The file that you will download is saved in .zip format; this is a compressed bundle containing the files in the phpBB distribution. Unzip this archive in a temporary directory on your computer using a decompression software.
Part B - Uploading Files to Server
1. Start your FTP software and after connecting to your web server, create a new sub folder on your server named /forum in the /var/www/html/ folder for your phpBB files. Upload the entire contents of phpBB to your server in the /forum folder.
Part C - Software Configuration
1. Before you begin Part C, please ensure that you have created your MySQL database on your web server via your Site Administration Panel.
2. Access the phpBB installation script with your web browser: http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/install/install.php
(Replace yourdomain.com with your domain name.)
3. Under Basic Configuration, use the default settings.
4. Under the Database Configuration, enter your database info as follows:
Database Server Hostname/DNS: 127.0.0.1
Your Database Name: Your database name, e.g. yourdomain_com_-_db
Database Username: Your VIP PowerNet memberID
Database Password: Your database password
Database Table Prefix: phpbb_
5. Under the Admin Configuration, enter your Admin Email Address, Username, and Password. Click Start Install..
6. Click Finish Installation.
Part D - Security
1. Using your FTP software, delete the folders /contrib and /install located on your server within the /var/www/html/forum directory to avoid unauthorized persons from re-configuring your forum. The folders and contents within are no longer needed.
Installation of phpBB is complete. Please refresh your browser to see phpBB run correctly.
For further information on the use of phpBB please visit http://www.phpbb.com/support/.