| FTP Tutorials - Ace FTP
FTP a software that is commonly used to transfer files from one computer to another. In this case you will be transferring files from your computer to the VIP PowerNet web server. This tutorial explains to you how to use AceFTP software on Windows to upload files to your server. To follow this tutorial you will need to have your VIP PowerNet Member ID and password, a copy of AceFTP installed on your computer and an internet connection.
1. Start AceFTP software. Click on the Connect button to open AceFTP Site Profiles.
2. Click New Site Profile to start the FTP connection wizard.
3. To connect to your FTP Server, please enter the following details and click Next to proceed.
(substitute yourdomain.com with your domain name)
User ID: Enter your VIP PowerNet Member ID
(member ID only NOT administrative email address)
Password: Enter your VIP PowerNet Member password
(passwords and IDs are case sensitive)
4. To make publishing easier, you may browse your computer and set your local folder to the location where your website files are stored. For the host folder, enter / for the web root directory on the server. Click Finish.
5. Click the Connect button to connect to the server.
6. Your AceFTP main transfer window will be displayed. Your Local System (your computer) will be shown on the left and the Remote Site (VIP PowerNet Server) will be shown on the right. If you did not set your default local folder location, use the navigation icons to locate your website files on your Local System.
To upload files, select the file(s) you wish to transfer from your computer to the server on the Local System and click the right arrow in the middle of the screen. You may select multiple files to transfer by holding down your Ctrl key while you select files. You should overwrite the files on the remote system if you are making changes to your website.
7. The uploaded file will appear on the server. After you have finished uploading all of the necessary files, you may exit the program and view your changes through a web browser.
Your web pages, files and sub-folders should be placed inside the / (root) directory on the remote system. You can create sub-folders by clicking Create New Folder button to the right of your system menu. Your website initial page should be named index.php to display correct. All filenames and directories are case-sensitive.
* If changes are not visible after you have uploaded new content to your website, please try clearing your browser cache or temporary internet files and refresh the page.